Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Slow Down

Simon and Garfunkel sang:

Slow down, you move too fast
You've got to make the morning last
Just kicking down the cobblestones
Looking for fun and feeling groovy

The bible study I just finished talks about being still before God so that you can hear Him speak. Being still in your body, in your mind, in your attitudes.

As I have said, I am not still very often. I want to be, I crave to be and I am learning (slowly) to be still.

I have been looking over my calendar and it is FULL!
Full of work, baseball practice, baseball games, bible study, RA's, GA's, prayer service, doctor appointments, volunteer in school library, girl scouts, worship team practice, church, swim team practice, vbs prep, weekend conference.

Just typing all of that makes my head spin.
How do I "Be Still" when all of this is going on? I want to, I try to, I think about things to remove from my plate.

At the end of May, a few of these items will fall from my calendar and I won't have to pick them up again. But you know, when we take something off of our plate to make more time for the things that matter, don't we tend to pick something else up?
At the end of May, my school will be finished, baseball will be finished and girl scouts will be close to finished. But at the end of May, swim team begins everyday.

In the midst of the busyness I have to make the time to slow down and be still before God.
To let Him pour over me, His grace, His mercy, His wisdom and understanding just to make it through the day.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Feelin' Groovy.

Made me laugh this morning. Had to sing it out loud.

I know I'm preachin' to the choir here...how many times have you said this to me???...

Make time for Him and all else will fall into place.

Love you, sweet friend.